Sunday, January 18, 2009

Magic Numbers

There are a few numbers that are simply magic. They show up all of the time and no one can explain why. Unquestionably, the most magical of them all are e and pi! Both are transcendental constants. Both appear in formulas with such frequency in unrelated areas -- it is staggering. I believe these two numbers are part of the code to understanding the universe. In physics, the Holy Grail for theorists is called the Grand Unified Theory. Very simply put, they want to write the equation that explains everything on the back of a cocktail napkin. I have no idea what that equation will look like but I am certain it will contain e and pi.

1 comment:

Innocent Smith said...

Hey, I randomly found your blog today and I'm glad that I did. Very interesting stuff. I am a conservative blogger and grad student from Chicago (rjmoeller.com). Keep up the good work. God Bless.